Top 5 Things To Look For in a Family Friendly Neighborhood
The Hampton Roads area is filled with amazing communities for families. As a family of 5, we know how important it is for our kids enjoyment and for our sanity to have other families around to walk through life together with. We are very social people so we value relationship more than most other things in life. If you are the same as us then here are some tips to help you find the perfect spot for your family.
1. Look for a neighborhood with an elementary School in the community- Many of the elementary schools in the area were built right in the middle of neighborhoods. This creates a real sense of pride for the school from the parents and kids as well as the teachers and staff.
2. Look for a neighborhood with a community pool - The community pool is the place to be in the summer. Joining your neighborhood pool will ensure that you meet lots of neighbors and build life long friendships.
3. Look for a neighborhood with other families - This seems pretty self explanatory but this is often times hard to figure out. One strategy we suggest is park in the neighborhood on a weekend or around the time school gets out and go for a walk. You will figure out pretty quickly if their are families living in the neighborhood.
4. Look for a neighborhood without too much privacy - I know we all want privacy to some extent. In some cases though, it can be too much. Some areas of neighborhoods are so secluded, you can go decades without ever meeting your neighbors. Look for neighborhoods where you will see your neighbors homes. This way if you are sitting on the front porch and they walk by you can wave and say hello.
5. Look for neighborhoods with recreational amenities - Many neighborhoods in our area feature city playgrounds and parks and many newer neighborhoods feature community playgrounds. These are the types of things that attract families so you will be sure to be surrounded by other families.