Top 5 Neighborhoods for an Active Lifestyle
Do you enjoy spending your free time outside?
Do you like to hop on your bike and ride to the coffee shop or craft brewery down the street?
Does your perfect Saturday involve kayaking down one of our areas many creeks and rivers or playing volleyball on the beach?
If you answered yes to these questions then you are likely what we would call an "active lifestyle homebuyer".
We understand that not every home buyer is looking for the 1/2 acre lot in a planned community. If being outdoors and enjoying all the amazing natural wonders our area offers is at the top of your priority list then finding a home that doesn't require hours of maintenance on a Saturday is probably something worth considering. The key is finding something with minimal exterior upkeep that is close to all the things you enjoy doing. The good news is, these types of homes and communities exist in the Hampton Roads area. You just have to know where to look. Here are some of the areas that we would consider conducive to living an active lifestyle.
What activities do you enjoy?
- Surfing - While Virginia Beach is not the north shore of Oahu, it does have a deep surf culture. If you are willing to ride a longer surfboard, you will be able get your share of time in the water during the summer months. There are a number of communities that have a strong surfing lifestyle to them.
- Kayak, Canoe and Stand Up Paddleboarding - This area is surrounded by water. Hence the reason it adopted the name the Tidewater area. If jumping in a kayak or on a stand up paddle board is something you enjoy there are number of boat ramps and kayak launches around the area. Here is a link that shows you where to launch.
- Fishing - Fishing is big business in this area. The Chesapeake Bay is home to wide variety of fish and each season brings with it a different fish to catch. The best way to fish is by boat or kayak. There is a good supply of condo's that come with a boat slip in addition to several marinas that rent boat slips.
- Hiking - First Landing State Park is one of the premier locations to hike in the area. It is bound by the North End on one side and Chesapeake Beach on the other. There are miles and miles of coastal hiking trails that wind through the State Park. To the south near Sandbridge you have False Cape and Back Bay Parks. Both offer a glimpse of the natural beauty our area has to offer.
Located at the south end of the Virginia Beach oceanfront sits this family friendly active community. For the most part the yards are cozy and are usually large enough for some outdoor living space and the occasional cornhole game. The families that live here are all about the beach. Weekly happy hours and sunset surf sessions are regular occurrences during the summer months.
2. North End Oceanfront
The north end of Virginia Beach in our opinion is the nicest stretch of beach front property in the city. It is close enough to ride your bike to the restaurants to the south that start around the 40th street area but far removed enough to feel removed from the hustle and bustle of a resort city.
HOMES FOR SALE AT THE NORTH END
Just over the Rudee Inlet bridge brings you to one of the nicest, high end beach front communities in the city. The neighborhood features a good mix of newer construction and older beach cottages.
Located at the very southern section of the city, this area feels like you are in a different world. Many of the homes are vacation homes and are rented out during the summer months, but there are also a die hard group of year round locals that call Sandbridge home.
HOMES FOR SALE IN SANDBRIDGE BEACH
5. Chesapeake Beach / Chic's Beach
If you want the option of being on a river or on the bay, this area is worth a look. On one side is the Chesapeake Bay and on the other side is the Lynnhaven River. Up and down Shore Dr., there are numerous public beach accesses and also a city boat ramp. Getting out onto the water in this area is very simple. Along with all of the beach and water related activities is a bustling restaurant scene.